Target Muscle/s: Glutes & Hamstrings
Sets & Reps: 3 sets of 30 seconds
Frequency: Include in your two strength sessions a week
• Lie on your back with legs bent and feet hip width apart
• Roll your pelvis back so lower back touches the floor
• Continue this rolling motion so that spine ‘peels’ up and away from the floor
• Hold top position for up to 30 seconds
• Reverse the original rolling motion to return shoulders, mid back, hips and finally lower back to floor.
Your goal is to fatigue the muscles sufficiently so that you cannot do more than 30 seconds. As soon as you can do longer, you need to make the exercise more challenging. This can be done as follows:
Pain in the lower back suggests you may have allowed the pelvis to drop forwards and are arching your lower back. If you are not able to maintain a flat, neutral pelvis during the exercise, you will need to choose a less demanding version of the exercise or do other exercises first in order to develop sufficient strength.
Progress The Resistance
If you can hold any of the bridge versions for longer than 30 seconds, you also have the option of adding external weight, e.g. holding a medicine ball, kettlebell, barbell on hips.
Any particular exercises you’d like to see on video? Email: email@example.com